The Brussels School of Governance is looking for a PhD-student with a doctoral grant.
More concretely your work package, for the preparation of a doctorate, contains:
You will join the team of the CURIAE VIRIDES project, funded by the European Research Council (ERC Str. Grant 909496) positioned at the intersections of sustainable development law, law and (ecological) economics, and analysis of (ecological) litigation in the framework of global value chains. The project uses an interdisciplinary conceptual framework, and combines legal research methods with (qualitative and quantitative) empirical research methods to inquire:
- how ecological conflicts emerging in the framework of Global Value Chain (GVC) activities are reaching the courts,
- who are the relevant actors and stakeholders and how they develop networks,
- how human rights litigation is greening,
- which is the institutional capacity of courts to understand complex environmental and economic issues,
- which is the impact of litigation on ecological governance gaps and on access to remedy for victims of ecological harm.
You will support the CURIAE VIRIDES project and be involved in research activities such as:
- data collection,
- application of descriptive statistical methods and social network analysis aiming at identifying correlations and network structures and exploratory regression analysis,
- participation in qualitative empirical research (semi-structured interviews) that would support the testing of the hypotheses of the project,
- organization and administration of project databases,
- drafting of (joint) working papers, conference papers, and journal articles,
- external communication about the project.
You will define the scope of your PhD dissertation connected with the topics addressed in the project under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (and with a supervisory committee composed of experts in the areas of the PhD).
For this function, our Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus (Elsene) will serve as your home base.