In this High-Level Lecture Series, senior politicians and officials will share their knowledge and insights on International Relations and European Politics. By inviting well-known policy-makers to discuss topical issues, the series will fully capitalize from the VUB’s embedment in Brussels, a city hosting NATO and EU institutions as well as the largest number of embassies and international journalists in the world. Participants will get the possibilities to engage in the debate and directly challenge the choices of policy-makers.
1. "NATO’S TWO STRATEGIC PILLARS: DETERRENCE AND DEFENSE AND PROJECTING STABILITY"
18 February (6-8pm in Aula QA)
Speaker: John Manza, Assistant Secretary General for Operations, NATO
2. "ROLE OF AND INTERACTION BETWEEN THE CONSTITUTIONAL COURTS, THE COURT OF JUSTICE OF THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS"
10 March (6-8pm in D0.03)
Speaker: Joséphine Rebecca Moerman, Judge at the Belgian Constitutional Court
3. "NATIONAL POPULISM IN EUROPE"
24 March (6-8pm in Aula QA)
Speaker: Prof Em Roger Eatwell, University of Bath
4. "EUROPE IN A DISRUPTING WORLD"
21 April (6-8pm in Aula QA)
Speaker: Frans van Daele, Belgium diplomat and private secretary of His Majesty's Cabinet
5. "THE EU-AFRICAN COOPERATION ON MIGRATION – THE AFRICAN PERSPECTIVE"
5 May (6-8pm in Aula QA)
Speaker: Ndey Haddy Jeng, The Gambian Mission to the EU