KF-VUB Korea Chair is pleased to invite you to the annual Brussels Korea Forum on 29 September at the Stanhope Brussels hotel. The forum is the preeminent event for a Brussels and European audience to learn about and discuss Korean affairs.
The Brussels Korea Forum is the leading venue for policy-makers, researchers, academics and other interested parties to discuss Korean Peninsula security and South Korea-Europe relations, together with their Korean counterparts.
The three panels will focus on Korea-Europe security cooperation in the Indo-Pacific and globally, Korean Pensinsula security, and South Korea and Europe in global economic governance.
This event is generously sponsored by the Korea Foundation. The event will be live-streamed on our channels. Register here to join in person or online.
Event Check-in (09.00-09.30)
Opening Remarks (09.30-09.40)
· Luis Simon, Director, Centre for Security, Diplomacy & Strategy (CSDS), VUB Brussels School of Governance
· Ramon Pacheco Pardo, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance
Panel 1: Korea-Europe Security Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific and Globally (09.45-11.00)
· Kang Kyung-wha, Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Ewha Womans University & Former ROK Minister of Foreign Affairs (2017-2021)
· Lee Sang Hyun, President, Sejong Institute
· Lukas Mandl, Chair, Delegation for relations with the Korean Peninsula, European Parliament
· Ramon Pacheco Pardo, Chairholder, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance
· Moderator: Luis Simon, Director, Centre for Security, Diplomacy & Strategy (CSDS), VUB Brussels School of Governance
Coffee break (11.00-11.15)
Panel 2: Korean Peninsula Security (11.15-12.30)
· Alice Ekman, Senior Analyst Asia, European Union Institute for Security Studies
· Tongfi Kim, Senior Researcher, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance
· Lee Shin-wha, Ambassador for International Cooperation on North Korean Human Rights & Professor of International Relations, Korea University
· Moderator: Eva Pejsova, Senior Japan Fellow, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance
Lunch break (12.30-13.30)
Panel 3: South Korea and Europe in Global Economic Governance (13.30-14.45)
· Robyn Klingler-Vidra, Reader and Associate Dean, Global Engagement, King’s Business School
· Jon Pareliussen, Senior Economist, Head of the Korea desk, OECD
· Michael Reiterer, Distinguished Professor, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance & Former EU Ambassador to the Republic of Korea (2017-2020)
· Yoo Myung-hee, Visiting Professor, GSIS, Seoul National University & Former ROK Minister for Trade (2019-2021)
· Moderator: Giulia Tercovich, Assistant Director, CSDS, VUB Brussels School of Governance
Closing address (14.45-15.00)
· H.E. Yoon Soongu, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to the European Union and Belgium
Event End (15.00)