On 14th October, KF-VUB Korea Chair is hosting the Brussels Korea Forum at the Renaissance Brussels hotel. This is set to become the preeminent event for a Brussels and European audience to learn about and discuss Korean affairs. Our aim is for the forum to become the leading venue for policy-makers, researchers, academics and other interested parties to discuss Korean Peninsula security and South Korea-Europe relations, together with their Korean counterparts.
The forum will have three panels focusing on Korean Peninsula security, South Korean and European perspectives on global security, and South Korea and Europe in Global Economic Governance.
Please click here to register. The event will take place in-person and be livestreamed.
11.00-11.05: Welcome Remarks by Ramon Pacheco Pardo, Chairholder, KF-VUB Korea Chair, and Luis Simon, Director and Research Professor, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
11.05-12.20: Panel 1: Korean Peninsula Security
- Kim Chang-beom, Advisor, Center for Strategic and Cultural Studies (CSCS) & Former ROK Ambassador to the European Union (2012-15)
- Kim Saeme, KF Indo-Pacific Programme Visiting Fellow, RUSI
- Kim Won-soo, Distinguished Professor, Yonsei University & Former United Nations Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs (2015-17)
- Ramon Pacheco Pardo, Chairholder, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
- Moderator: Luis Simon, Director and Research Professor, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
12.20-13.35: Lunch break
13.35-14.50: Panel 2: South Korean and European Perspectives on Global Security
- Kim Sung-Hwan, Chairman, East Asia Foundation & Former ROK Minister of Foreign Affairs (2010-13)
- Tongfi Kim, Senior Researcher, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
- Janka Oertel, Director, Asia Programme, European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR)
- Sheen Seong-Ho, Professor, Graduate School of International Studies, Seoul National University
- Moderator: Eva Pejsova, Senior Japan Fellow, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
15.00-16.15: Panel 3: South Korea and Europe in Global Economic Governance
- Karel De Gucht, Chairman and President, Brussels School of Governance & Former EU Commissioner for Trade (2010-14)
- Eun Mee Kim, President, Ewha Womans University
- Kim Jong Hoon, Chairman, SK Innovation Board & Former ROK Minister for Trade (2007-2011)
- Michael Reiterer, Distinguished Professor, Brussels School of Governance & Former EU Ambassador to the ROK (2017-20) (TBC)
- Moderator: Linde Desmaele, Phd Researcher, KF-VUB Korea Chair, CSDS, Brussels School of Governance
16.15-16.20: Closing Address by H.E. Yoon Soongu, Republic of Korea Ambassador to the European Union and Belgium